Dr Sarah Polack
BSc MSc PhD
I am an Associate Professor working with the International Centre for Evidence in Disability at LSHTM.
I am the primary supervisor for three DrPH students (Phillip Sheppard: Experiences of older people with disabilities in humanitarian crises; Tim O'Fallon: Access to rehabilitation for people with disabilities in the Maldives; Giulia Oggera: Assitive technology in humanitarian crises). I co-supervise three PhD students (David Musendo: Parent-level interventions to support inclusive education in Malawi; Dorothy Boggs: Development of survey methods to assess assitive products need for functional impairments; Maria Zuurmond: Understanding the lives of caregivers and evaluating a support programme for caregivers of children with disabilities: lessons learnt from Ghana).
I am a Research Degree Coordinator for the Clinical Research Department and Chair of the Global Mental Health MSc Exam Board. I teach on the 'Epidemiology of Eye Diseases' and am a personal tutor for students on the Global Mental Health MSc.
My research focusses on disability in low and middle income countries. Current/recent research projects include:
- Developing methods for assessing need for rehabilitation and assitive products within population surveys in low resource settings
- Developing guidelines on mental health and psychosocial support for children with hearing loss in Gaza
- Prevalence and impact of disability among Syrian refugees in Turkey [Report]
- Building evidence and understanding of stigma related to children with cerebral palsy and their families
- Investigating the experiences of older people with disabilities in humanitarian crises [Report]
- Developing interventions to improve uptake of ear and hearing services in Malawi [publication]
- National survey of Disability in Guatemala: population based prevalence survey with a nested case control study to assess the impact of disability on participation and access to services [Report]
- Impact evaluation of a parent training resource for children with Cerebral Palsy in Ghana [Report]
Member of the International centre for Evidence in Disability at LSHTM: http://disabilitycentre.lshtm.ac.uk/